It's Spring 2021 & wildlife baby season is upon us.
NOW is the time to commit to lusher, wildscaped urban spaces FOR the local residents and for our local wildlife.
FUNDED/SUBSIDISED 100% BY WILDSCAPING WORLDWIDE.
[AS A LOCAL AUTHORITY, THIS WILL ONLY BE A BENEFIT - NOT A COST]
LET'S GET STARTED.
I'll visit & TOGETHER we can decide upon the Pockets of grass that we plan to be wildscaped.
Wildscaping Worldwide will reach out online to your local resident associations, wildlife and climate change groups and ask them to unite to work with Wildscaping Worldwide by signing an Open Letter, proving that they want their residential spaces to be wildscaped.
Residents will be offered the opportunity (through zoom calls, email & on the phone) to ask any questions, put forward any concerns and make sure that they are 100% happy with the wildscaping proposals.
Residents will be shown digital documents from Wildlife Organisations, Ecologists & Environmental Scientists (as well as research from Dr Ben Wheeler, specialist in the benefits of urban green spaces) to reassure them over any concerns about the changes to their neighbourhoods.
WW will ensure that at least 80% of local residents have signed the Open Letter & are content to go ahead with wildscaping their residential area.
THE OPEN LETTER WILL READ
"We - the residents of [STREET/TOWN/BOROUGH] - would very much like to see our streets transformed into more colourful, natural spaces, to not only improve our health & well being (and those of our families) but to also provide far greater natural habitats & resources for our local wildlife, by converting every patch of public land (that’s currently just grass) that runs along our streets and/or is situated & unused within our local areas into a wildlife habitat full of plants & flowers & surrounded by a bird friendly hedgerow, for maximum biodiversity. "
When the majority of local residents have signed the local open letter OUR NEXT STEP is to ask them to let us know the amount they think they can donate (however small/large) to the purchasing/wildscaping fund for their local area.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT ALLOWS COMMUNITY OWNERSHIP (IN SPIRIT) OF THE LOCAL WILDSCAPING WORK.
WHILST THIS LAND WILL BE OWNED BY THE WILDSCAPING WORLDWIDE CHARITY, IT WILL BE HELD AS THOUGH IN TRUST FOR LOCAL RESIDENTS UNDER A CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT TO PERMANENTLY PROTECT THE POCKETS & MAINTAIN THEM IN THIS WILDSCAPED FORM.
A FUTURE INTENTION IS TO GIFT THE POCKETS TO THE LOCAL COMMUNITY TO BE HELD IN A LOCAL TRUST.
THE NEXT STEP WILL LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS AND RESIDENTS WILL KNOW ABOUT THIS STEP RIGHT FROM OUR VERY FIRST COMMUNICATION.
WILDSCAPING WORLDWIDE WILL SUBSIDISE THE LOCAL COMMUNITY & TOP UP ANY DEFICIT.
The Wildscaping Worldwide team of (freelance) Ecologists & wildscaping specialists will travel to visit the proposed pockets of land with me, to decide which specific hedging, plants & flowers should be planted in each of your local pockets of land.
[AT THE SAME TIME]
We will have made sure that we have connected with and gained the support of local residents. Any & all residents are welcome to meet us as we visit the pockets to ask any questions and be involved as much/as little as they want.
Wildscaping Worldwide will start the application process to purchase the pockets being wildscaped.
However long this process takes, we are 100% committed to the eventual ownership (under an agreement to maintain their status & protect the land) of these wildscaped pockets.
PURCHASE APPLICATION PACKAGE
- The local open letter (proving that this is what your local community wants & is in agreement on).
- A national open letter, proving that this is a popular UK vision from the general public on how we would like to see our urban landscapes changed.
- Evidence of a financial commitment (from the local people and supported nationally) to purchasing the land and wildscaping it (evidence of funds available).
- Statements from UK ecologists, wildlife specialists & other relevant professionals, attesting to the purchasing/wildscaping of the land being in the best interests of the local community AND the council itself: helping the local council to meet vehicle emissions targets & flood prevention targets, for example.
- Surveys undertaken (should this be required).
[AT THE SAME TIME]
Wildscaping Worldwide will purchase the required hedging, plants and flowers.
Wildscaping Worldwide 's wildscaping specialists (and those local residents who want to help wildscape the pocket) will wildscape all of the pockets.
[AT THE SAME TIME]
WW will be collaborating with Clean Up Britain to launch local litter clean up campaigns, like Rubbish Revived (to protect all of the wildlife moving into the local area).
The successful purchasing of the wildscaped pockets: protected forever & maintained annually (and insured annually) at WW's expense.
HEDGING - Each pocket will have a perimetre of bird friendly hedging around it. The benefits of which are... 1. The hedge will be both habitat & a food source for birds. 2. Keeping the pocket a sanctuary for local wildlife - like hedgehogs - to settle in. 3. The hedge creates a wind protected space for pollinators (bees & butterflies) to dip into to access the wildflowers, separated by the hedge from the slip streams of passing traffic.
SPRING/SUMMER BEAUTY - The hedging will be planted with wildflower bulbs underneath, so that during the spring/summer months, colourful, lush flowers will grow up and leap out at passers by through the leafy greenery.
BIOSTABILITY AND BIODIVERSITY - Within the pocket will be planted multi-level plants: food for the caterpillars AND food for the butterflies: an environment for wildlife & pollinators to settle/have families in.
If you are in any doubt as to the advisability of this proposal, please be aware that WW will jump through any and all hoops to see this achieved.
WW are happy to answer any and all questions, counter any concerns & as a final thought, please do check out this list of environmental & local benefits, to humans & wildlife.
- SOCIO-ECONOMIC EQUALITY - Greater equality across our landscape - Sometimes the most run down urban areas have the greatest amounts of wasted green space which (if they were wildscaped) would transform the local area into a brighter, cleaner, healthier, litter free environment.
- CLEANER AIR - Wildscaping in urban areas will cleanse the air from vehicle emissions (plants in the 'pockets' absorbing carbon and then being cut every winter, taking the absorptions with them where they can be used as valuable fertiliser elsewhere) meaning a healthier life for the local community.
- BIODIVERSITY - If 100,000s of these tiny pockets of land can be wildscaped it will offer a MASSIVE (maybe unprecedented) biodiversity boost.
- WILDLIFE HABITAT/RESOURCES - Local wildlife populations will be offered a massive boost in natural habitat and food sources. 10,000s wildlife casualties every year end up in Rescues fighting for their lives purely because of the way we waste the land around us and make it uninhabitable for them. This would be a permanent solution to support our urban wildlife (who have been driven in from agricultural areas because of pesticide use).
- EMPOWERED PUBLIC - A lot of the UK population renting in overcrowded residential areas - and feeling unable to effect change because they don’t own their own properties to wildscape - will be empowered to affordably wildscape their neighbourhoods/local streets & reharmonise with nature by permanently protecting (and collaboratively owning) these Pockets.
- WILDLIFE TRAVERSING SAFELY ACROSS URBAN SPACES - If 100,000s of these tiny pockets of land can be wildscaped, local wildlife will have multiple points of refuge and even safe spots to move between if they need to cross the urban landscape.
- ENDING CARBON EMISSIONS - There will be considerable savings on carbon emissions (if these Pockets were previously lawned grass) by stopping the land from being mowed continuously plus lack of water pollution because we will be stopping any pesticides that may have been being used before. Each individual patch only has a tiny impact but as the numbers move into the 1000s then the combined impact is significant.
- CLEANER DRINKING WATER & FLOOD PREVENTION - Cleaner drinking water & flood prevention for local residents - Rain water that falls on these wildscaped bits of land is filtered through the denser soil very slowly before any run off finally makes its way into sewers to be further cleansed by local water authorities.